An Italian favorite, traditionally an affogato is made with vanilla ice cream or gelato, with a shot of espresso poured over it. The word "affogato" actually means "drowned" in Italian, and what could be better than drowning ice cream in a delicious beverage? For this recipe, we put a tea spin on this elegant dessert. Instead of espresso, drown your ice cream in a thick shot of matcha. Grassy and smooth matcha compliments creamy sweet ice cream for a simple treat that is easy to make whenever a matcha or ice cream craving hits!
Preparing your matcha with hot water will create the "drowned" effect over ice cream, melting it to a beautiful yin and yang of ice cream and matcha. But if you're partial to a less melty treat, prepare your matcha with cold water. Our favorite ice cream choice is a coconut vanilla, but we can imagine that vanilla bean, chocolate, strawberry or raspberry would be lovely, too!
- 2 tsp organic Cooking Grade Matcha
- 4 scoops ice cream (we used coconut vanilla, but choose your favorite!)
- ~3oz water
- Sift two teaspoons of matcha into a matcha bowl, or a bowl with a flat base and high sides.
- Add about 3oz of water to bowl - can be hot or cold!
- Whisk matcha into water, either using a bamboo whisk, electric whisk, or small kitchen whisk. The mixture should be slightly thick.
- Put two scoops of ice cream in two bowls.
- Pour matcha slowly over ice cream, and dig in!
Recipe by Arbor Teas Staff