Mexican Chaga Chicory
Mexican coffee delivers a winning combination of spice, chocolate and coffee. But, sometimes you don’t want all of the extra caffeine. Enter our caffeine-free Organic Chaga Chicory as a full-bodied replacement for the coffee! Our Organic Chaga Chicory offers a tantalizing coffee-like taste and brews up dark and thick. While this drink is not entirely caffeine free (because of the chocolate) it contains significantly less caffeine compared to a traditional Mexican coffee.
Makes 2 servings
- 2 tsp Organic Chaga Chicory
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1.5 oz chopped chili-infused dark chocolate (we use Taza Chocolate Guajillo Chili)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- whipped cream
- Cinnamon to taste
- Heat the water to boiling (212 degrees Fahrenheit). Remove from heat and steep 2 teaspoons of Organic Chaga Chicory in the hot water for 7 minutes.
- Strain out the steeped Organic Chaga Chicory from the liquid brew.
- In a small saucepan combine the brew, cinnamon sticks, brown sugar, and chopped chocolate.
- Bring to a gentle boil, then turn the heat down to simmer.
- Simmer for 10 minutes stirring occasionally until the chocolate is completely melted.
- Remove the cinnamon sticks.
- Pour into 2 mugs and top with whipped cream and a dash of cinnamon.
Recipe by Arbor Teas staff.